Monday, July 30, 2012

The Gardener

Hi fans! I know you have all been searching the internet and wondering where I have been this past year! Well, I am back, but not because I have been quilting and have a finished project to update you on, unfortunately. I do have an almost done project, but the baby came before his blanket was finished and what they say is true. You have no more time for hobbies once a baby is in the picture! But I do hope that I will be able to squeeze a minute or two in here and there to finish and will post pics then.

But thankfully, I actually have had MORE time for reading since our little bundle of joy arrived. And one of my favorite authors right now is Kristen Randle. I literally found a book of hers in a used book store this past year. In an effort to try new things I picked it up because the title and the back cover sounded interesting. Reading it was one of the most enjoyable experiences of the whole pregnancy! I read it twice. In a row. I am not sure if it was all the hormones that made it just so absolutely wonderful for me, but I think anyone who loves reading should read it immediately.

But that is not what this post is about! This post is about her new book The Gardener. The Gardener is a must read for any one who has teenaged children or who works with teenagers on a regular basis. It deals with numerous serious issues that kids today face. But it is done is such a lovely and real way, and is laced with humor and mystery and wonderful character development.

The Gardener is the story of a girl who has moved to a new town and a new house. The house comes with a Gardener. Is he good? Is he evil? Just like in real life, nothing is quite what it seems. And our heroine has to figure that out...sometimes the hard way. What I love about the book is that the characters are so real. They are people you know, not cliches or exaggerations.

Kristen is a kindred spirit to me, even though I don't know her. There is just something so familiar in her perspective on the world. I just love entering into her writing and seeing life from the eyes of her characters.




One more thing I really love is that she incorporates quilts into her books. In this story, the heroine's mother is a quilter. They spend time together in the book creating quilts. It is lovely.


So please go out and grab a copy of one of her books. Several are available on Kindle. Some other wonderful titles are Breaking Rank, The Lady and the Fool, and Slumming. I think all are considered YA fiction, so read one to feel young!! They are all a lot of fun.

2 comments:

Rachel said...

What a fun post and tribute! I happen to know this, Kristen D. Randle and she is every bit as wonderful and personable as you describe.

As for her books, it does not surprise me that you read them twice back to back. The woman has great talent with words. It is a gift and how wonderful that she shares it with the rest of us!

Donna said...

You are so right about Kristen's books and I don't think it is the pregnancy hormones because I LOVE them and I have never even been pregnant!
Currently I am reading The Lady and The Fool. It is a bit different from the others, but just as engaging.

Don't you just love it when you find a new author to read. Enjoy and keep spreading the word to your friends so more people can be amazed.