Thursday, September 11, 2008

A Hand-Me-Down Quilt


This quilt top was given to be by my Grandmother, who received it from her mother, who had received it from a friend. I don't know who made it, but it was all hand done and must have taken ages. I guess it was done before the time of TV and women's rights, so maybe that is how the woman who made it had time to do it that way! :) Jut kidding of course, since there are many dedicated quilters out there today who do quilt by hand and make such beautiful peices.


I received the top and decided to finish the quilt. I unfortunately used polyester batting, which I found out later can damage out quilt because the polyester wears at the old cotten and causes tears. I also found out from my local quilt expert (at the Quilting Frame) that red fabrics are the most delicate.
When I received the quilt top it was stained and smelly, so I washed it in the washing machine. It has needed at least one or two more washing since after some use. That has been a bit rough on it, and even with some patching, it still has some tears at seams and in the old fabric peices. But I plan to be more gentle with it in the future, using it less and displaying it more. Also, I plan to work on repairing the rips.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I did not know that about the polyester. Interesting.
Becky

brd said...

This is very beautiful. I'm glad that you were able to finish it. Perhaps you can use it as a wall hanging so that you won't have to clean it as often.