Monday, February 9, 2009

Class #2


Well, we are working on a sampler quilt in class, so I wanted to show my progress so far. We got to pick our fabrics this week. I liked the Partridge print, and it makes for a "bright happy quilt" as my class mate said. MAybe a bit too bright, but the colors are that of the flag of India, so that is OK. :)
We did a nine-patch first, then a rail fence, then a four patch. It is pretty obvious from the names which is which, I think. It was fun. We are practicing the basics, but will be working our way up to a double pinwheel, so that will be a bit more complex.
Once we are done these blocks we will have a sampler quilt, but from these foundational blocks many different patterns can be made. You can use the Rail fence to create a Blaze pattern...the nine patch can be used for the Irish Chain. You can also mix and match to do all sorts of things.
Anyway, we are really having fun with this. It has been a great class so far.

4 comments:

brd said...

I love the bright, India flag, colors.

I will anticipate seeing your next block!

BRD

cadh 8 said...

WEll, I ended up taking the green out of these blocks and replacing them with white and orange. I did this so that I can use the green between the blocks. I also found a great fabric online for the backing which I ordered today. I am looking forward to finishing these!!

brd said...

What? You took out the green? You undid all of that work. I don't know! But I will wait patiently to see the final product.

cadh 8 said...

I know!! it was hard to take out the green, but when we went through the options for the sashing, it was the only thing that made sense. But I also plan a green border, so you will get that green kick when I am done!! India will still be in the house!