Saturday, October 27, 2007

The finished quilt top!

OK, so here are some shots of the finished top to the quilt. BAsically, stage one is complete.
I had some difficulty with the edge pieces, as I had accidently cut them wrong. You have to always be thinking when it comes to quilts!!

I am now trying to decide what to use as a backing. I have a large cream colored sheet that matches the stripe in the blue fabric. But I am not loving the combination. It matches yes, but does not speak to me, if you know what I mean. A nice light green that matches some of the other details would be ideal, but this will be an added expense. If I find a good deal at JoAnn's next week when I go, I will consider it. Otherwise, it is the old sheet. I hate to pair something that is only "SO-So" with something that took so much time and effort. So maybe I will wait and save up for a nice matching back.

The other debate is whether to get a backing and an internal batting to make it warm, or to use a fleece back which saves a step. I have made some nice quilts with the fleece backing--they are warm and soft. But I think I may go with the regular backing.

Also, I know a lady who does machine quilting and binding of the edges. I have never tried this method of finishing a quilt, but would like to. Maybe this is my chance. It would cost, but I'd like to see it finished this way.

Anyway, hope you like the top of this one. It took some time, but was worth the effort. Now for the hard part of finishing it! :)

2 comments:

brd said...

Wow! It is coming along famously. Oh let's get the green backing! I'll kick in. How much could it be for a bit more material. I needs to speak to you. Surely we can find a coupon.

brd said...

PS Is that Duke on the new quilt? Get him off of there! :>)