Saturday, June 14, 2008

Gram's quilts


Another of my buffalo robe quilts. Isn't the model a beauty? I made this one for my Grandma to curl up in on cold Pennsylvania nights while sitting in the den waching TV with her TV guide in hand. :) I loved the rich purples of the orchid print fleece fabric.

When I was making the foot pocket on this one, I inadvertently made it kind of small, both because my Grams has petite feet and because I only had a little fabric left. Well, it made the perfect little "pillow pocket". I folded up the blanket and folded it into the pocket and it made a pretty pillow. This is a great way to keep your couch from being covered with messy unfoled blankets. When you don't need it, it makes a great throw pillow to use. Then, in the middle of a good show when you are starting to feel a chill, there is no need to go to the blanket closet. You just unfold your pillow. This one really came out great and was the inspiration for some others I have done this way.




This quilt was one of my first...I made it as a Christmas gift for Grandma one year. On each square I used iron ons to write the names of all the family members on that side at the time. It made a mini family tree with Gram and Pap at the top. Sorry to Jeff, who was not in our lives at the time. I need to go back and add him in on Deb's square. But the great thing is, this can be done. I really liked these colors and the lattice look of the patterns.

Thanks to Gram for the pictures of these quilts !!

2 comments:

brd said...

Nice display. Yes you really should add Jeff to the mix on the geneology quilt. Also, some of the other names are fading a little, but I'm not sure what we could do about that. It is such a sweet quilt.

And of course the "buffalo" blankets are particular favorites of mine!

brd said...

Grams says:
It was really fun to see your quilt blog. I was honored to be able to model the quilts you have given me.

Keep quilting!

Gram