Friday, June 27, 2008

More thoughts on emotions and fabric

Well, I was just thinking some thoughts this morning that I wanted to put into my blog for future thought. And I promise this will be the last time I talk about my dear dogs that I have lost in the past. I am sure, though, that there will be more dogging in my blogging in the future, but we will remain focused on the living from now on.



However, I was thinking about our two very special pups that are buried at the back of our barn and were placed there by our own hands. We have another special pup buried much closer to the road (the site of his demise) and he was buried not by our own hands (thank you daddy!), but that is a story for another blog, maybe one with the theme "Lessons I learned as a not quite grown up adult".



So anyway, I was thinking about the dogs we had lost. Both had tragic and untimely deaths. Both were found by us, in our yard. Both were DOA, with no need for a trip to the vet. So, if this has never happened to you, I guess I need to talk about the emotions that hit you at this time. First you are shocked, but I will say that in both cases there was no doubt that death had occurred. One look was proof of it, which is strange. I did not think either was sleeping or hurt. It was definitely death. And after about 1-2 minutes of pure shock and sorrow, it is like your body turns to find tools. A wheelbarrow, a shovel, and (here is where this becomes relevent to my quilting blog) a blanket or quilt. Yes, that is one of the necessary tools. You need it to cover the body, contain the body, lift the body, and cradle the body.



And this is where I hope this post leaves the morbid and enters the philosophical. You see, we use sheets for our dogs to lay on, so I could have easily grabbed an old sheet to do this job. or even a tarp or garbage bag. And I am sure some would have. But it was my impulse to grab blankets or quilts that meant something. With our first dog, I grabbed a white blanket that was embroidered with hearts and had been a wedding present to us years before. Our dog had sort of adopted this blanket already, I will grant. She would lay on in often, but none the less is was a special blanket with special memories to it.



For our more recent loss, it was the same impulse. And again I went to a quilt special to that dog. I had made a simple quilt out of a large remnant from a quilt I had made for my mom. It was a cozy gray cotten with flowers on it. The other side was a cheap peice I had gotten at Walmart because I liked the pattern. I outlined that in a purple fabric that may have been a dress I cut up to salvage the fabric. Or it may have just been another bargain buy, I don't remember. I had been using this blanket to protect our couch from doggy nails, but somehow our dog sort of adopted it. But my husband shared it with him, as he liked it as well. So when I went to reach for this tool of burial, I reached for that purple quilt.



So now the dogs lay wrapped for burial in the special fabrics. I am a realistic about animals and death. I know that neither dog recieves any comfort now from those blankets. There is no magic power in them. But I do recieve comfort from knowing that they are there. Is that silly? After each died, I immediately knew that there was no more I could do for them. THey were out of reach. But I could feel better knowing that I demonstrated their value to me by burying something else of value with them. Call it a memorial or a marker, I don't know. But just as I discussed in the last post, the emotions and the fabrics become tied. They are all wrapped up in such interesting ways. Maybe I was simply burying my memories as well. I don't know.



Why does this kind of thing make us feel better? I would really like to know. I know God is teaching me about grief in all of this. How much more potent are these thoughts when it is a family member, spouse, or friend that dies. How much more difficult to handle. What we do for the dead, we most certainly are really doing for ourselves. But it should make us think about what we are doing for the living.

Well, goodbye pups, and since I know that you will never read the internet, this goodbye is for me, too. But it is time for you to leave my blogs. But you will never leave the fabric of my life. You are already woven in.



4 comments:

brd said...

Dear Sapphire,

I was touched reading your thoughts. You speak of grief in such a beautiful way. And I know that this has been a sad and intimate road for you to walk down. I have walked down some of these roads, too, in my own way.

And I believe what you are speaking of, the material symbols of our love and care, are important things. Even Jesus, gave us symbols of remembrance, the bread of heaven, the cup of salvation, by which to hold Him and bring Him close in our hearts and minds, and hands and taste buds.

I love you dear one.

cadh 8 said...

I never thought about communion in that way. I mean that the way we remember people with objects is not silly, because even Jesus knew that it is in our nature to use objects as a remembrance. And that this is even a good thing.

I do feel that God is teaching me these lessons in the animal realm to prepare me for worse grief along the road. And I don't mean this to be morbid, but we will all die, sooner or later. I think he knew that my heart could not bear a worser grief to start, as this one has been so terrible on my heart. So in that way I take comfort that it was not totally in vain. There was a purpse in it all.

THanks for your thoughts and always reading my blog. I enjoy writing these posts, even though I think it is only you who ever reads them. But that is enough.

Love you mom.

brd said...

Diesel and I just watched an interesting movie about a strange love called Ladies in Lavendar. D thought it was strange. I liked it a lot because it dealt with the reality of odd loves that come into our lives.

I think that each love that we feel, whether for a human or an animal, for someone with whom we are in sync in time and place or not, must be treasured and respected in its beauty and in its inevitable grief. I think that in every love we see a bit more of what and who God is. For God is. . . . hm.m.m.m love.

The Crabby Hiker said...

Dear Sapphire -

I don't feel I can say anything more lovely than what you've already said in this post, so thank you for sharing your feelings here, and at other times, and thank you for your vulnerability.