Friday, July 18, 2008

The next project

This quilt is the culmination of something I have been wanting to do for a long time. I first made a similar quilt for my sister in law (picture in a previous post). I loved the pattern, and am finally getting the chance to re-create it.

This is also a bit of a "patchwork" quilt, only in that I used scraps of material and leftover peices to finish out the quilt. I loved being able to find peices of other quilts I have made that were left over and to use them again. They will now be contstant reminders of the quilts that I have made and given away to loved ones. It is like an ongoing connection.



Finally, I am going to use a technique on this quilt that I have wanted to use for a while but have not been able to try. Basically what you do is take scraps of material and sew it all together in a big peice. Then you take the peice and treat it like any other fabric, cutting out the shapes that you need for what ever you are working on. I am going to take this home made fabric and edge the rest of my quilt with it. More pictures will follow. For this part of the project I have also used the edging of the fabric, where it tells the name or maker or colors used. We saw this at a recent quilt show where someone had made a whole block out of the part of the fabric that is usually thrown away or hidden inside a seam. i like the idea and have been saving the edges for just such a project as this one, so I will put some better pictures of that part of the fabric up as I continue working on this project.

2 comments:

brd said...

Fascinating, and beautiful. You have such creative ideas, and then you actually carry them out. I was glad to find that you had a new post because I wanted to comment.

Guess what! You must come to Knoxville between now and September 21 for a quilt exhibition at the Knoxville Museum of Art:
Mary Lee Bendolph, Gee's Bend Quilts and Beyond. I am so excited. This should be wonderful.

Closed Monday
Tuesday- Thursday: 10am- 5pm
Friday: 10am- 8pm
Saturday: 10am- 5pm
Sunday: 1pm- 5pm
(Free admission Tuesdays!)

The Crabby Hiker said...

Ooh, Carrie. These last two are so gorgeous! I really like the backing material on Beacon Quilt 2 - though of course, I like the front even more :-)