Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Book bag for 2011

So I got more than one cool gift this year! Along with my sewing machine I also got a Kindle. And although I got a nice hardback green case for it, I started thinking about ways to protect it. And as I realized how often I was going to want it with me, I began to think that a carrying bag was a good idea. I also got myself a planner (purple!) and a journal (orange) for the new year, both in the same size as my Kindle.

So the logical conclusion was to design a bag that could hold all three...and of couse one custom made to match the books I would be putting into it!!
So I just went through the scraps I had in my leftovers bag. And sure enough, I had some great options. So I quickly put together the exterior.

But I did not want to just have a thin cloth bag. I wanted a little more strength and lining. so I decided to line it in jean fabric and to add two pockets by using the back pockets of the jeans I used. So inside the bag I have two very sturdy pockets that were totally pre-made. Talk about up-cycling! It turned out so cool on the inside. I keep a pen and pencil in the pocket, and I have not had them fall out yet.

I then sewed a button at the top and sewed a hair band into the other side. To close it I just loop the band around the button. Works great.





So I have been carrying my journal, planner and Kindle in this bag. And I really like it. Matchy Matchy-ness makes me happy. :) I think it is great. If you want one, let me know and I will make you one...in whatever colors you need for your books.

3 comments:

brd said...

Oh, yeah! I'll place my order for a bag this weekend. But first, you'll have to make a diaper bag.

lou said...

i love it! i also love the kindle!! hope you enjoy yours

reccip tanzimat said...

that awesome???