Friday, January 21, 2011

New machine, new quilt, just for my Mom Rani

I have so many quilts to blog about from the past 6 months! but due to the limitations of what pics I have available, I am going to start with the most recent and work backward!

So for Christmas this year I got a beautiful new sewing machine! Oh, how technology has changed in the 12-15 years since I got my reliable little White (pictured)! The machine needs a post of its own, but I wanted to show the first quilt that I have made on it, from piecing to quilting to binding.

The machine was a gift from my Mom in law, and she let me pick it out, which was so fun. I have never done so much research! So I wanted my first project to be for her.

Funny enough, my mom Betsy gave me most of the fabrics I used. I just did every square different, but in complementary colors. It was fun being creative.

I was able to use multiple new functions on my new machine. I used embroidery stitches on several of the blocks, which added just a pretty little detail that I never got to add before. I also used a free flowing stitch to quilt the whole thing. It took a while to get used to, so it was far from perfect, but my steadiness improved and I look forward to working with it more. I didn't get a picture of the quilted and binded final project, but I will try to add that. I also found a great backing fabric, even though I was at the store without any of my blocks to match to. I was relieved that it worked!!

My mom Rani was surprised that I got it done so fast, but it was easy with the new machine. And so much fun. I think people are probably tired of getting quilts from me, but I so enjoy making them that I don't foresee stopping any time soon!

2 comments:

brd said...

This is so beautiful. What a wonderful gift from Mom Rani! And blogging again, too!

Unknown said...

wooww thats cool!!!
follow me
alejandragonzalezc.blogspot.com