Thursday, January 1, 2009

Flower baskets





Well, this post has been a long time coming, because this project was a Christmas gift for my parents. It probably took half a year to complete.


It started after my mom gave me a pack of fabric pieces, pre-cut and matched. There were some that looked like basket weave and then all sort of flower and leaf patters. It just inspired use of the flower basket pattern. I cut and pieced the flower baskets first. Then I had to decide what to do with the blocks. There was a lot of blue in the fabrics and I happened to have a blue leafy patterned fabric as well that seemed to match. So I decided to go for bold colors with a blue back ground. SoI began putting the blocks together with some help from my husband on how the pieces and colors should go.


Then I went online and searched and searched for a flower basket print. I found a great one at the Spin Cycle Fabrics ebay store. It went perfectly with the quilt and made a great backing.


SO I completed the quilt and had it quilted at the Quilting Frame. I had it made with a cotton filler, which was more expensive, but makes it warmer and more durable.


My parents loved the quilt, and mom, if you will take a picture of the final product I will post it as well. Somehow I did not take a picture once I got it back.


3 comments:

brd said...

Lovely, lovely. You know that I am so thrilled to have this quilt. And your father enjoys wrapping up in this quilt more than anything. He can't get over how beautiful and intricate it is.

On New Years Eve I showed it to Nazmia and she was blown away!

I will take a picture, if only I can find my camera, which I seem to have lost in all the holiday hubbub!

Thank you so much for this amazing gift.

Unknown said...

That is beautiful:-)

Unknown said...

Oh, I signed that Gretchen, but it's Becky.