Wednesday, January 7, 2009

New Year projects--a continuation


My idea...I know you have been wondering...was to use the String Quilt blocks to finish the scrappy project that had been lingering, longing to be finished for so long. I had the main part of the quilt as well as the back all finished and ready to go. But I was trying to do an edging on both ends using scraps, many very small, put together in a disorganized way. But this was a slow and kind of boring project, so I had shelved it back in the spring and never got back to it. But now I had plenty of blocks in all the right colors all ready to go, and enough to finish both ends. Eureka!




You can see how the colors of both what I had and the new edges are both random and orderly...there is a pattern to the blocks, but the fabrics used are variable, though complementary. and the patterns too have themes to them...the straight angles and diagonal lines are common to both parts, although in different ways. I am also adding an additional red stripe to each end to help the colors blend better, since there is so much red in my newer blocks.


Now my next step will be to hand quilt the peices together to try out my quilting hoop. Then I will do the binding as well on my own, since I know how to now. I am very excited about this quilt. It has all along been done very much to my tastes and to indulge myself. It may be another year before I finish all the stages of finishing it, but it will be fun!

1 comment:

brd said...

Another great post and beautiful work. I love the look of this. The red stripe was a great idea to introduce the new pattern. You are amazing.